Do Car Covers Scratch Paint?
As a car owner, you know that cars can be expensive. You could spend thousands of dollars to buy one, plus another thousand or more over the years to maintain the quality of your ride. Why spend so much? Well, for obvious reasons: A car that looks as stunning as the day you drove it out of the dealership is going to turn a lot of heads!
With that said, it is in your best interest to protect your car against any sort of damage. One logical solution: buy a car cover.
However, some car owners have serious doubts about buying one. Questions like “do car covers scratch paint?” and “do car covers damage paint?” usually pop up on forums and online discussion boards. Maybe the question entered your mind, too? Well, it’s a great thing you stumbled upon this blog! Let’s clear some things up to put your mind at ease, shall we?
Do car covers scratch paint?
First, let’s answer the question “will a car cover scratch my paint?” The short answer is “yes, if used improperly”. When not used properly, a cover can scratch your car’s paint. No matter what material it is made of, whether it be neoprene, plastic, or a tarp-like material, you risk scratching your car’s clear coat.
But it isn’t the cover’s fault. Car covers by themselves do not scratch the paint job. In reality, the culprit is the dirt and debris trapped underneath the cover. Whenever you put on and remove your car cover, it creates friction. The same thing happens when it moves because of the wind. This friction rubs dust into the surface of your car, creating micro-scratches and swirls on the paintwork, making the overall finish look dull and flat.
Unfortunately, removing these scratches can be an extremely time-consuming and expensive process. To do this, you have to remove a layer of the clear coat to expose a flat layer that evenly reflects the light. However, this process also removes some UV protection from the clear coat.
Why use car covers?
Despite the risk of leaving unsightly scratches, car covers are still a key option for protecting your car against the elements, especially if you don’t have a covered parking space. They also provide an extra layer of protection from dust and moisture for cars that are parked indoors.
Still not convinced? Here are some other reasons why you should invest in a high-quality car cover:
- Cleaner car, fewer chances of damage. High-quality covers reduce the risk of dents and dings and can protect your car from pollen, insects, fallen leaves, small debris, and bird droppings.
- Thieves no more! Car covers serve as an excellent theft deterrent, since thieves are time conscious, and likely not foolish enough to target a car with the covers on when there are other, more tempting targets. It would be too risky. Moreover, car covers can conceal valuables in your car which a passing thief could have easily spotted otherwise.
How can you avoid scratches when using a car cover?
When used improperly, car covers can scratch your car, but this will rarely be the case if you use them correctly. Here are some things to keep in mind when using a car cover:
- Keep them clean. Since scratches are mainly caused by dust and debris trapped underneath the cover, remember to keep your car and car cover squeaky clean.
- Choose materials wisely. When buying a car cover, take note of the materials used. For best results, choose one with a soft, interior lining.
- Indoors or outdoors? There are a lot of differences between indoor and outdoor car covers, so how do you choose one that fits your needs? Consider these tips.
If you need an indoor car cover, go for one made of lighter materials. Just make sure it’s breathable to avoid condensation, which can cause rust and watermarks.
For outdoor car covers, choose one that provides ample protection against the rain and the sun. It should also have a drawstring or tie-downs to keep it from flapping in the wind.
- Fit matters! A cover that conforms to the contour of your car will be less likely to flap and slide, even during windy days. This means fewer chances of leaving unsightly scratches!
Why choose a Seal Skin Car Cover?
If you’re planning to buy a cover to protect your car against the elements but are afraid of getting scratches, Seal Skin is the go-to brand! By purchasing a semi-custom car cover from a trustworthy manufacturer like Seal Skin Covers, you’ll get:
Superior protection. Seal Skin covers are made with five layers of premium quality materials to provide the right amount of protection your vehicle needs. Specifically, it has:
- A durable outer layer that effectively prevents harmful UV rays, snow, rain, dust, dirt, small debris, tree sap, and bird droppings from getting through the underlying layers and ruining the exterior finish.
- A sufficiently padded middle layer that protects your car from dents and dings. And since we want to keep your car free from rust, mold, and mildew, we use breathable materials to allow excess moisture to evaporate.
- A smooth, inner layer that guarantees a scratch-free finish.
Snug fit. When it comes to car covers, it all boils down to the fit. Seal Skin covers are designed to fit your ride’s contour and body shape. To ensure an even tighter and more secure fit, we put reinforced grommets on both sides of the cover and added an elastic rope cord hem around the perimeter.
Great value for money. Seal Skin covers are made to last. For added strength and water resistance, we double-stitched the seams and all the other major wear points. We also offer the best prices and will ship your order at no additional cost. Still on the fence about making a purchase? You don’t have to. Our products come with a full 30-day return and exchange warranty and a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty.
For questions about our products, shipping policies, and exchange/refund policies, call us at 800-915-0038 during our office hours (Monday to Friday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST) and we will help you find the right cover that fits your needs and your budget.