How to Find a Good Snowmobile Cover
Snowmobile owners can be extremely passionate about their sleds. In fact, most of them are willing to go to great lengths to protect their ski mobiles from the damaging effects of the elements as well as from dirt, dust, and minor accidents that may cause ugly dents, dings, and scratches.
How do they do this? Aside from following a regular maintenance schedule, they keep their sleds in a fully enclosed trailer or garage during the off-season and use one of the best snowmobile covers for added protection.
Why Do You Need a Cover for Your Snow Mobile?
Here are some reasons why you absolutely need one.
- It protects against sun damage and fading. Some sled covers are treated with special UV-protection to prevent sun damage.
- It keeps excess moisture out. Constant exposure to rain, snow, ice, and sleet can ruin your sled, accelerate the aging process, and cause premature corrosion. However, you can avoid all these things by using a 100% waterproof yet breathable snowmobile cover.
- It prevents the accumulation of dust, dirt, and other debris. You invested a huge amount of money in your motor sled, so don’t let dirt, dust, and debris accumulate on the surface. Use a suitable cover to keep it as clean and striking as the day you first set your eyes on it.
- It acts as an effective critter deterrent. Aside from making a terrible mess, having a pack of critters on your sled increases the risk of damage. Nobody wants this, so don’t forget to use a tight-fitting cover to discourage critters from making a nest on your sled during the off-season.
5 Tips in Choosing a Snow Mobile Cover
Not all snow mobile covers are created equal. You may have known it all along, but allow us to emphasize the fact. Different manufacturers produce ski mobile covers that provide different levels of protection. Obviously, the quality of the product plays a crucial role in determining how well it can protect your beloved snowmachine, so you need to choose wisely before buying one.
If you don’t know which features to consider and are totally clueless about these things, here are some useful tips that you may want to consider.
Pay attention to the quality of materials.
If there’s one thing that determines how well the product can protect your investment, it would be the quality of materials used in the production. Would you settle for a cheap tarp or a flimsy cover that offers minimal protection to your ski mobile? Hopefully not. Why would you use something that can’t adequately protect your investment? That wouldn’t make any sense, right?
Instead, you should choose a cover made from high-quality materials. Specifically, we recommend going with one made from heavy-duty UV-treated 600 denier polyester fabric that offers all-season weather protection and comes with superior moisture, mold, and mildew resistance. You paid thousands of dollars for your sled, so you’ll want to give it the protection it needs.
Inspect the layers.
How many layers does it have? Ideally, you need a cover that offers at least three layers of protection. It should have a tough outer layer, a water-resistant yet breathable middle layer (to prevent mold and mildew growth), and a soft inner layer (to protect your windshield and ensure a scratch-free finish).
Consider the fit.
It’s really all about the fit. Aside from ensuring ease of use, a well-fitted cover provides better protection for your snowmobile. A cover that is too tight can be difficult to pull on and off, while one that is too big for your sled tends to flap during windy days, increasing the risk of leaving nasty scratches on the exterior finish. The constant motion also makes the cover more susceptible to premature wear and tear and shortens its productive life.
According to fit, snow mobile covers can be classified into three main categories: universal-fit, custom-fit, and semi-custom fit. What’s the difference, and which one should you choose for maximum protection? If this would be your first time buying a cover for your sled, here are some things you need to know to help you come up with a good decision.
When it comes to fit and price, universal-fit covers and custom-fit covers occupy the opposite ends of the spectrum.
On one end, you have universal-fit covers. These are definitely way cheaper and are readily available at your local enthusiast store, or even a general automotive store. However, they are mostly made from thinner and cheaper materials and may not provide a proper fit.
On the other end of the spectrum lies custom-fit covers. These provide a perfect fit, since they are made especially for your ski mobile’s model. Considering the fact that the fit plays a crucial role in determining the level of protection, custom-fit covers are highly desirable. One word of caution, though: they can be extremely pricey and may not be readily available.
If you’re looking for the perfect balance between fit and price, go for a semi-custom cover. These covers will give you the best of both worlds, since they provide a snug fit at an affordable price. To get the best value for your money, choose a cover that takes into account your sled’s particular style, make, and model.
Inspect the craftsmanship.
A high-quality snowmobile trailer cover may come with a high price tag, so it should be durable enough to last for several years. To get a clear indication of the product’s durability, inspect the seams. Look for one with double-stitched reinforced seams to ensure maximum strength.
Ask if it comes with a warranty.
A warranty can be the ultimate game-changer since it explicitly expresses the manufacturer’s confidence in the product. Some manufacturers offer a one-year warranty for their products, while some offer longer warranties.
Note: If you’re looking for a suitable cover for trailering, you need one that is made from a sturdier fabric to prevent premature tearing. It should also come with an elastic cord, hooks, and straps to keep it from being blown off as you trailer your sled. For added functionality, you may consider buying a cover with safety markings, protective non-scratch hoods, and zippered openings that provide access to the gas tank.
On the other hand, if you’re not trailering and are merely looking for a storage cover, you may choose one that is not as heavy as a snowmobile trailer cover, since it will work just as well.
Seal Skin Covers: The Perfect Cover for Your Snow Mobile
Considering the sheer number of snow mobile covers out in the market, why should you choose a Seal Skin cover for your sled? Here’s why.
- We use high-quality materials. Our covers are made with heavy-duty 600 denier polyester fabric, so we can confidently claim that they are capable of providing superior all-weather protection. With a Seal Skin cover, you don’t have to worry about the sun, rain, or snow. The elements can’t do any damage to your baby. You don’t even have to worry about molds and mildew!
- Our covers provide multiple layers of protection. You need superior protection, so that’s exactly what you’ll get by using a Seal Skin cover. Our snowmobile trailer and storage covers provide five layers of protection to offset the damaging effects of the elements and protect your sled from minor accidents that may leave ugly dents, dings, and scratches.
- They fit great! Our covers are accurately sized to your sled’s length, width, and height to ensure a proper fit. They also come with an elastic hem cord around the perimeter, tie-down straps, and adjustable straps to guarantee a fast and tight fit and keep the cover from flapping or being blown off by the wind.
- We put a premium on quality. Aside from using high-quality materials, we double-stitch and electronically weld the seams to ensure maximum strength and prolong the life of the product.
- Our products come with a 10-year warranty. Yes, that’s right! We provide a 10-year warranty on all our covers. That illustrates how confident we are that they can meet and even surpass your expectations.
Looking for the Best Snow Mobile Cover? Find Them at Seal Skin!
At Seal Skin Covers, we understand that you want to provide the ultimate protection for your pride and joy, but are looking for something more affordable than a custom-fit cover. Recognizing the need for such a cover, we are offering you the best semi-custom snow mobile covers available in the market today.
Our covers tick all the right boxes. They are made with five layers of high-quality materials that are guaranteed to provide the protection your sled needs, whether you’re storing it indoors or outdoors during the off-season. It also provides an impressively snug fit to ensure ease of use while providing excellent protection.
We are committed to excellence. To demonstrate our full confidence in our products, we provide a 10-year warranty for our snowmobile trailer covers and offer a full 30-day return and exchange warranty with every purchase.
Still have questions about our products and/or policies? Feel free to call us at 800-915-0038 during our office hours (Monday to Friday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST) and we’ll gladly address all your queries. We will help you find the best cover for your sled. After all, that’s what we’re here for.