Best Motorcycle Covers: What to Look For
Every motorcycle needs some basic maintenance to run smoothly, otherwise, it may break down when you want to reach someplace urgently, or even worse, it may lead to some damaged parts, resulting in an accident. Therefore, you should take care of your bike if you want it to take good care of you.
If you own a motorcycle or would like to own one someday, you know that you will not be riding it 24/7, and it needs to be put away at the end of the day. Unfortunately, quite a lot of damage can occur even when the bike is not being used. Environmental factors like hail, snow, rain, UV rays, and so on can cause considerable damage to your bike when it’s parked outdoors. Outdoor parking also makes your bike vulnerable to theft and damage caused by bird droppings, tree sap, nuts, pollen, branches, and more.
Indoor parking is not a completely safe option, either. Dirt and dust formation can result in scratches and make the paint turn abrasive over a period of time. So, using a top-quality motorcycle cover is a no-brainer, whether you park your bike indoors or outdoors.
A motorcycle cover is a smart and relatively small investment that can help you save money in the long run by protecting your bike and maintaining it in pristine condition.
Best Motorcycle Covers: What to Look for
There are dozens of motorcycle covers available on the market. Unfortunately, all covers are not the same – even if they appear to be. Here are a few tips you need to keep in mind before purchasing a cover for your bike.
Motorcycle Covers for Outdoor Storage
- A cover with a snug fit is crucial. Purchasing an overly large cover can cause excess fabric to flap in the wind which can damage your paintwork. The cover may also get blown away by strong winds, leaving your bike exposed to damaging elements.
- With a smaller cover, you may face difficulty in putting it on and removing it. When you purchase a snug-fit cover, it will be easier for you to remove it and put it on. A cover with a near-perfect fit will also reduce the risk of rubbing against your bike’s paint during strong winds.
- Another drawback of tighter covers is that they may not leave breathable space for moisture to escape, leading to mold and mildew build-up. So, if you plan to leave your bike outside for a longer time, especially in winter, you need to make sure that the cover has ventilation to prevent condensation, which can otherwise wreak havoc on your beloved bike.
- A weatherproof cover is an ideal choice to cover your bike, as such covers are not just UV and water-resistant, but are also made of a sturdy, reflective polyester material coated with polyurethane that can effectively protect your motorcycle from hazardous outdoor elements.
- You need to ensure that the cover is heavy-duty and durable, and more importantly, it should be made of multiple layers of fabric as it can offer superior protection against hail and UV damage, water stains, and so on.
- Even if the cover provides a snug fit, it’s even better if the cover has a strap that goes under the motorcycle’s belly. This, along with reinforced grommets will ensure that the cover will stand the test of strong winds and not get blown away. Straps and reinforced grommets will also act as powerful weapons against theft and vandalism.
Motorcycle Covers for Indoor Storage
- For indoor storage, it is advisable to purchase a cover that is lightweight. You should ensure that the cover is lined with stretchable fleece on the inside, which should be soft to prevent it from damaging the paintwork.
- Your bike may be free from outdoor elements when it’s parked in a garage; however, dirt and dust formation is unavoidable. When you purchase an indoor cover, you need to ensure that the top layer of the cover offers protection against dirt, dust, animal droppings, insect frass, and so on.
- The middle layer should be waterproof but breathable, allowing the fabric to breathe and water vapor to escape. The inner layer, as we mentioned earlier, should be soft enough to prevent paint from being scratched.
- If you are planning to store your motorcycle indoors regularly, it is highly recommended to purchase a cover that is made of cotton or poly blend.
If you use your bike to travel frequently, you may have to carry the cover with you. So, you will need to store your motorcycle cover. There are many covers that come with storage bags to store and transport them. In this case, you need to look for a cover that can also be folded up compactly.
There are various types of motorcycle covers available on the market. Each cover type has its own unique features and benefits. We have already mentioned indoor and outdoor motorcycle covers. Half covers are a good option if you prefer to cover your motorcycle quickly and frequently, and are not very specific about full protection. These covers are designed to cover only the upper part of your bike, leaving the lower part of your bike exposed, including the wheels.
Why Do Smart Motorcycle Owners Choose Our Brand?
At Seal Skin, we offer some of the best motorcycle covers on the market that are durable, affordable, and reliable. We sell an extensive range of semi-custom-fit motorcycle covers and you can choose one based on your preferences. Our top-quality covers offer superior protection to your motorcycle, whether it’s parked indoors or outdoors.
One of the main reasons why smart bikers choose our brand is that our covers have been expertly designed and leave breathable space for water vapor to escape, thereby preventing mold, mildew, and rot.
Our semi-custom-fit covers provide much better protection than traditional covers and are an affordable option for many bike owners, unlike custom covers that tend to be expensive.
You can call us at 800-915-0038 during our office hours (Monday to Friday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST) and we will help you find the right motorcycle cover that fits your needs and budget. We will also help you if you have any questions about our products, shipping policies, and exchange/refund policies.