Buyer Beware: Why 18-Layer Car Covers Aren't Any Better
Cars symbolize freedom as they give you the license to drive anywhere you want, with your windows down and your music blasting. Driving a car is one of the most liberating feelings in the world.
In your car fantasies, you probably imagine yourself in your dream car, which could be a classic car, a convertible, an old muscle car, or some other vehicle. Buying your dream car may have always been there on your bucket list, and once you have it, that dream becomes reality.
The feeling that you get when you drive your dream car for the first time can be out of this world. Unfortunately, nature’s elements can be brutal, as they can cause scratches, dents, and other damage to your vehicle even before you have had the opportunity to relish your first drive.
A car cover is an important accessory to protect your vehicle from the elements, whether it’s parked indoors or outdoors.
18-Layer Car Covers – A Reality or a Myth?
“We offer 18-layer premium waterproof car covers that can provide superior protection to your vehicle from all hazardous elements, thereby keeping it in pristine condition.”
You may have read such advertisements on the internet or outside a car cover store. This can be tempting, because obviously you want the maximum protection for your car, right? So, what is the reality behind such car covers? Do they really provide what the manufacturers promise, or is it a fake marketing strategy to persuade customers to buy what manufacturers sell rather than what they want?
Many car owners believe that if a car cover has a higher number of layers, it will be able to provide better protection to a vehicle when compared to those covers that have a lesser number of layers. This is far from true – it’s a myth. The reality is completely different.
Why 18-Layer Car Covers Aren’t Any Better
Here are a few points that will help you understand why 18-layer car covers, or 10-layer car covers, or 7-layer car covers, aren’t any better.
- Adding more layers to a car cover does not enable it to provide additional protection to a vehicle. In fact, it only makes the car cover heavier. Manufacturers who aren’t aware of this are ignorant, and the ones who know about this and still endorse it are fooling buyers.
- A heavier car cover can be difficult to use as it can take some time for you to remove it from your car, and this can be particularly annoying when you have to go someplace quickly. But wait! That’s not the major drawback of a heavier car cover. A car cover should have breathable space for air circulation to take place. When more layers are added, there wouldn’t be any sizable gap for water vapor to escape, resulting in moisture formation that could lead to mold and mildew build-up. Adding more layers to a car cover reduces its value in terms of strength and water resistance.
- The effectiveness of a car cover is determined by the materials used in it, rather than based on the number of layers. Let’s be honest here: An ideal car cover is one that includes high-quality materials that provide superior protection to your vehicle.
- Nearly all of the time, anything beyond 5 layers is a gimmick, as manufacturers of such covers know that customers are conditioned to shop by layers since car cover companies do not have brand recognition.
You may come across many car covers on the market that contains multiple layers, including:
- 3-layer car cover
- 4-layer car cover
- 5-layer car cover
- 6-layer car cover
- 7-layer car cover
- 10-layer car cover
- 18-layer car cover
- And more
At the end of the day, it is not the number of layers, but rather the quality of materials used that determines how effective the car cover will be.
What Are Your Options for a Car Cover?
As you have already seen, anything above five layers isn’t giving any real benefit at all. So, what are the options you have, and what are the materials that an ideal car cover should have?
The 5-Layer Car Cover - Polypropylene Fabric
- Car covers are usually made from polypropylene. It is affordable, durable, and waterproof. However, it could deteriorate quickly on a bright sunny day due to scorching heat.
- Usually, such covers are built using three bonded layers of polypropylene along with one layer of micro-porous film to make it more waterproof and one layer of soft fleece lining to protect the paint.
- Polypropylene fabric tends to be heavier, so it may not be very easy to use.
Modern Covers - Polyester
- Most modern car covers include polyester fabric, which is known for its durability and water resistance, and is surprisingly lightweight, making it easier to use.
- Due to its durability, there is absolutely no need for adding extra layers to it.
- The only drawback about such car covers is that they have a higher price, as polyester is an expensive fabric.
Seal Skin Car Covers – Seal-Tec
- Seal-Tec is a patent-pending fabric design that makes use of performance-grade oxford polyester which is specifically built to repel water and resist rips and tears.
- The Seal-Tec fabric material is a microporous material, which means it has pores in it that are tiny enough to stop rain from getting in but are moderately sized to allow water vapor out. This prevents moisture formation by making sure that it evaporates through the fabric and does not get trapped underneath the cover. This is crucial, otherwise your vehicle can get wet and the paint will be damaged.
- Seal-Tec properties prevent the accumulation of dirt between fibers. The basket-type weaving gives the fabric durability and breathable space to prevent mold, mildew, rot, and paint damage. Another advantage of Seal-Tec fabric is that it dries quickly and is easy to clean and maintain.
Why Choose Our Expertly Designed Car Covers?
At Seal Skin, we offer an extensive range of semi-custom-fit car covers that are durable, affordable, and reliable. Our top-quality car covers resist rips and tears while preventing the accumulation of dirt between fibers. The soft inner fleece lining ensures a snug fit that prevents your vehicle from any kind of scratch.
We use one of the finest fabrics for car covers: the Seal-Tec fabric material. Our products are reasonably priced and you don’t have to worry about the shipment or delivery fee as we will ship your order right to your doorstep at no additional cost.
You can call us at 800-915-0038 during our office hours (Monday to Friday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST) and we will help you find the right car cover that fits your needs and budget. We will also help you if you have any questions about our products, shipping policies, and exchange/refund policies.